I bought this little 1973 Shasta 1400 in March, 2011.
After cleaning out the inside, we started making repairs to water damaged areas. This time (unlike the Nomad) I didn’t throw anything away.
The curb side of the Shasta was in pretty good condition, no major repairs required. The front window, the front road side wall, the top half of the road side wall and all of the back wall had to be re-built. The ceiling needed to be rebuilt too. I did one section at a time and got it water-tight before moving on to the next section.
All doors, windows, hatches, vents, j channel, awning rail, etc were removed, repaired, re-putty taped and reinstalled with new stainless steel screws.
The kitchen cabinets needed a lot of repair and the particle board countertop was flaking away. I had to repair a lot of the face frames and the upper and lower cabinets by the entry door needed new side panels.
Since I was pretty sure that I wouldn’t be able to match the 1970’s paneling, I covered all the re-framed sections with luan plywood and we painted the interior. It’s a lot brighter inside than it was originally and it makes it feel roomier.
Another thing that makes it feel bigger is I didn’t replace the fold down bunk in the rear of the camper. It made a great shelf, but it took up a lot of head room and made it difficult to get in and out of the rear bench seat. We used iron on tape to make our curtains and stapled fabric onto ¼” plywood with new foam for our cushions.
The plastic cone lamp shades were brittle and cracking, so I re-used the bases and put some new lamps that I got from a ceiling fan light kit.
For the 110 volt electrical, I upgraded it to 30 amp and added an extra circuit for a dedicated air conditioner/heater outlet in the rear of the camper. I replaced the shore power cord also.
A friend came over and sprayed the new color on.
The middle frame and glass of the rear window was gone and an ugly old A/C unit was hanging out the back, so that’s where I put the new A/C. I built an air conditioner support that puts most of the weight of the A/C onto the bumper.
After that, I put all new running lights on, attached my modified Shasta wings, and called it done. I modeled the wings after trout (for Phyllis’s fly fishin’ sisters).
A few years later, I rebuilt the suspension and restored the old rims with new baby moons.
Once everything was done, I hated to leave it out in the weather, so I built the Shasta Shed off of the woodpile.
Phyllis has pulled her Shasta to Tennessee, North & South Carolina, Virginia, and Georgia. It’s been a great camper.
Getting ready for a trip to the beach:
And a trip to the mountains:
I listed the Shasta for sale on the Tin Can Tourists website back in October of 2016, but we got busy during the holidays so I decided to pull the ad (here’s a link): https://tincantourists.com/blog/2016/10/12/featured-classified-ad-1973-shasta-1400/. I dropped the price and listed it on Craigslist in March 2017, here are some parting shots before it moved on to the upstate of South Carolina.
Here are some of the details about our 1973 Shasta 1400:
Tires: ST 175/80R13 Load range C 1360# at 50psi
Wheels: 13”x 4 ½”, 5 lug on 4 ½”, Center hole – 2 ½”, ¾” positive offset
Wheel Studs: 13/16” bolt size, torque to 90 -95 ft.lbs
Axle: 2.39” Diameter, 4” drop, 69” back plate to back plate
Outer bearing: 4T-L44649, 1.063”
Inner bearing: 4T-L68149, 1.378”
Grease seal: 1.72” id, 2.56” od
Dust cap: 1 15/16”
Springs: 3 leaf, 25 ¼” C/L of eyes, 3 ¼” arch